Monday, January 14, 2008

the Andamans: "if it's smokable, we're smoking it."

Hi mom. you probably don't want to read this post.








I've spent the past 5 days on neil island, a very quiet island in the andamans where there are only 3 guesthouses, a few restaurants, no internet or cell phone reception, and the main mode of transport is a bike. I always wondered what my life would be like if I had nothing to think about and nothing to do, and apparently it consists of eating, napping, sitting on the beach staring out to sea, reading occasionally, and smoking whatever comes my way.

just to be clear, I've only occasionally dabbled in illicit drugs -- I don't care either way for them, and I much prefer the destruction/debauchery that ensues from alcohol. but in the end, everything in moderation. however, there is nothing moderate about the sheer amounts of hash and grass and cigarettes that everyone has been smoking over the past 5 days -- there is apparently never a wrong place or time for it, since I've seen people roll a spliff and smoke it in plain view of police officers. I've had nothing to drink over the past week since there are no bars anywhere, but I've learned 3-4 new words for hash and smoked the indian and the israeli way, thanks to my new multicultural friends. 

No comments: